SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

New York terror plotter pleads guilty

A man accused of a New York bomb plot has made a plea bargain with prosecutors, and is expected to be sentenced to 16 years' jail.

Jose Pimentel
A man accused of a NY bomb plot has made a plea bargain, and is expected to receive 16 years' jail. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A Muslim convert accused of plotting to bomb targets in New York and kill US soldiers has pleaded guilty to one charge and faces 16 years in jail, the city attorney's office says.

Jose Pimentel, 29, a US citizen born in the Dominican Republic, was arrested by New York police in November 2011 and has been portrayed by officials as a "lone wolf" terrorist inspired by al-Qaeda.

He was initially indicted on five counts and could have been jailed for life if convicted faced. He is now expected to face 16 years behind bars when sentenced on March 25.

Pimentel on Wednesday pleaded guilty in the New York state supreme court to attempted criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree as a crime of terrorism.

In part of a plea agreement, in which he forfeits the rights of appeal, Pimentel said that he tried to make a pipe bomb in an attempt to force US troops out of Arab countries.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

He was accused of plotting to bomb police cars and post offices and kill US servicemen returning from Afghanistan and Iraq to protest the American military intervention in those countries.

Pimentel, who allegedly was building a pipe bomb at the time of his arrest, had been under surveillance by New York police for about two years.

According to documents filed in court, Pimentel collected spare parts such as incendiary powder, pipes with drilled holes, electronic circuits, clocks and nails to build pipe bombs.

The prosecution says each of the components was proscribed in a step-by-step guide in al-Qaeda's English-language Inspire Magazine on how to make a bomb designed to maximise casualties.

Officials say he was not part of a larger extremist cell.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world