SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Nine can't use kidnap footage: Dad

Sally Faulkner's estranged husband says one of the conditions of the 60 Minutes crew's release is that the network doesn't use footage from the kidnapping.

Lebanese father Ali al-Amin speaks to journalists
Ali Elamine believes he was deliberately lured away from his kids on the day of the kidnap attempt. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The Nine Network won't be able to use footage from a botched child kidnapping attempt under the deal that secured the release of its 60 Minutes crew, the children's father says.

Ali Elamine has again denied he received financial compensation in exchange for the release from a Lebanese prison of his estranged wife Sally Faulkner and the four crew members, but won't deny that someone connected to him was paid.

He also revealed details of the agreement struck in a judge's office, in an interview with Network Ten's The Project on Thursday.

"My initial thing from Sal and Channel Nine was, Sal drops the custody charges in Australia, and Channel Nine, just they don't use that footage that they filmed in the process and don't bring up the kid's names," Mr Elamine said.

"That was the agreement that was done yesterday in front of the judge."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Asked whether Channel Nine paid anyone surrounding him or connected to him, Mr Elamine replied, "I can't comment on that".

"So someone around you may have received this money from Channel Nine?" The Project's Carrie Bickmore asked.

"Again, I have no idea. My lawyer and myself never communicated anything in regards to that," Mr Elamine replied.

During the lengthy interview Mr Elamine said his children did not know anything of the kidnap plot or their mother's imprisonment, and they had been told she had to fly back to work.

"Their first thing (after the kidnap attempt) when they saw me was like, 'why are mummy's friends so tough and rough?'," he said.

"And I said, oh ... they just work out, they're big guys and they work out and they didn't mean to hurt you, they're just trying to surprise you."

Mr Elamine also elaborated on the impact of an emotional video plea recorded by one of the Nine crew.

"He (the Nine cameraman) told me he had kids and, yeah I could see it in his eyes, he didn't mean harm or anything," he said.

The 60 Minutes crew are expected to arrive in Australia around 10pm Thursday.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world