Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

'No threat' before WA jetty collapse

The WA tourism minister insists the partially collapsed jetty on Rottnest Island was not a core piece of infrastructure and there was no indication of a threat.

A 112-year-old jetty on Rottnest Island that partially collapsed was not part of the tourist hotspot's core infrastructure and there had been no indication of a risk, the West Australian tourism minister insists.

A 48-year-old British mother, her 11-year-old son and a female relative, 63, from Perth were injured when a slab of concrete gave way on the Army Jetty last month.

Speaking for the first time since the incident, Tourism Minister Paul Papalia said the jetty had been deemed unfit for boats and vehicles, but engineers had considered it suitable for pedestrians, including fishing.

"It was an unforeseen circumstances that the thing collapsed because the last engineer's report indicated that it was safe for pedestrian use," he told reporters on Wednesday.

"This was not a core bit of infrastructure that was used for anything on the island.

"It's now blocked to pedestrian access so there's no threat to anybody."

An independent inquiry into the collapse is expected to be completed this month.


1 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world