SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

No word on abducted Australian aid worker

Australian aid worker Kerry Wilson, who has devoted 20 years of her life to helping Afghan women, has been abducted in eastern Afghanistan.

Kerry Wilson
Kidnapped Australian aid worker Katherine (Kerry) Jane Wilson. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Diplomats are still trying to trace Australian aid worker Kerry Wilson and who abducted her in Afghanistan.

Ms Wilson, 60, was kidnapped at gunpoint by men dressed as Afghan Intelligence officers early on Thursday morning from her office in the eastern city of Jalalabad.

Ms Wilson has worked for more than a decade as the director of Afghan non-government organisation Zardozi, which she helped found.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters on Saturday that the Australian government was working closely with authorities in Afghanistan, as well as other countries, including Britain, who have significant representation on the ground.

"We are working with those who can assist us in making contact with those who may well have been involved," Ms Bishop said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

On Friday she reiterated the government does not pay ransom for hostages.

It is not yet known whether the kidnappers are Islamic militants or a local criminal gang, just as likely to abduct aid workers for ransom.

Ms Wilson's organisation, Zardozi supports more than 3000 Afghan women to make and sell clothing and handicrafts.

"With the money, refugee women send their children to school and feed their families," Ms Wilson said in a 2015 Zardozi video.

She started working in Afghanistan in 1996, the same year the Taliban seized control of the country, imposing strict Sharia law including bans on women working or being educated.

Ms Wilson's Perth-based father, Brian, pleaded for her return on Friday morning.

"But I presume she's a hostage and that they'll do their best to keep her alive and not harm her simply because they want to have something or other in return and it's not very good having a dead hostage," he told ABC radio.

Ms Wilson took to Facebook last year, appealing for support for Zardozi.

"We are working with Afghanistan's brave women," she wrote.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world