SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

NSW MPs push for chemotherapy inquiry

The push for a special commission of inquiry to be set up into the under-dosing of chemotherapy patients is gathering pace as NSW MPs rally behind the move.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Premier Mike Baird is facing increasing pressure to set up a special commission of inquiry into the under-dosing of chemotherapy patients at NSW hospitals, with a swag of MP's rallying behind the call.

Labor health spokesman Walt Secord will on Wednesday move a motion in parliament to establish an inquiry into the scandal which has seen hundreds of patients affected by alleged doctor malpractice.

At least four NSW crossbenchers, including Reverend Fred Nile and Greens MP Jeremy Buckingham, have voiced support for the move and will probably vote in favour of setting up the inquiry immediately.

Reverend Nile's wife Elaine died of cancer and was treated at the hospital at the centre of the scandal, Sydney's St Vincent Hospital.

"I would be devastated if I found out she was given half doses (of chemotherapy drugs)," he told the Daily Telegraph on Wednesday, adding that he supports the inquiry.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The under-dosing crisis engulfing St Vincent's deepened last week after it was revealed that a second doctor may have prescribed lower-than-recommended treatments at St George and Sutherland hospitals in Sydney's south.

Haematologist Dr Kiran Phadke is believed to have given inappropriate doses of chemotherapy drugs to his patients for as long as 13 years.

The revelation came as Health Minister Jillian Skinner released a report, which found that the number of patients who were under-dosed at St Vincent's by senior oncologist Dr John Grygiel had increased to more than 100.

It's expected more names will be added to the victims' list when a report into Dr Grygiel's time at Bathurst and Orange Hospitals is released in September.

At the time, Ms Skinner said the government had taken a number of steps to reassure cancer patients their treatment is sound, including a review of all public cancer patients who have received treatment over the past five years.

The government has also allocated $6 million over three years for new electronic prescribing software to track chemotherapy prescribing.

The NSW Health Care Complaints Commission is meanwhile continuing its investigation into Dr Grygiel's clinical practice and a separate investigation is underway into Dr Phadke.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world