SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

NSW projects should use Aust steel: Greens

The potential collapse of steelmaking in Whyalla shows why the NSW parliament must immediately legislate for local steel procurement, the Greens say.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The NSW government is being urged to ensure Australian steel is used in all of the state's construction projects amid the Arrium crisis.

The troubled miner and steelmaker went into voluntary administration on Thursday, putting up to 7000 jobs at risk - including 2800 in NSW.

"The potential collapse of steelmaking in Whyalla shows why NSW parliament can't delay and must immediately legislate for local steel procurement," Greens MP David Shoebridge said on Thursday.

Mr Shoebridge said a recent Greens bill that placed a mandate on government infrastructure projects to use locally manufactured steel would secure the future of BlueScope Steel's Port Kembla steelworks in the NSW Illawarra region.

"We want to bring the bill on for a vote in May when parliament returns," he said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"The NSW parliament has an opportunity to lead the way, and an obligation to adopt this as a template for procurement bills around the country to protect our steel industry."

Mr Shoebridge criticised the government for using "steel imported from Spain" for major infrastructure projects such as the CBD and South East light rail developments.

"The cost of saving a few dollars by buying steel dumped on the Australian market by international companies is being paid by workers, their families and the communities who will all suffer if the domestic industry is allowed to fail," he said.

BlueScope Steel's 4500 workers and thousands of others in the Illawarra won a reprieve last year after the state government gave the troubled steelmaker $60 million in payroll tax relief.

Port Kembla workers also agreed to 500 job cuts, wage freezes, and workplace restructuring to help save the plant.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world