Opposition was preparing widespread immigration bans under Sussan Ley's leadership

The policy was formed in the wake of the Bondi terror attack and would have introduced bans on immigration from more than a dozen countries.

Sussan Ley, wearing a white shirt and white blazer, speaking in front of trees.

Sussan Ley had been poised to introduce hardline immigration policies, Liberal sources say. Source: AAP / Lukas Coch

Dumped Liberal leader Sussan Ley was poised to introduce a suite of hardline immigration policies, including widespread bans on immigration from more than a dozen countries considered havens for "Islamist terrorist ideologies".

The policy was formulated largely out of Ley's office in the wake of the Bondi terror attack and would have planned to stop immigration from the occupied Palestinian territories, Afghanistan, parts of the Philippines, parts of Lebanon and Somalia.

Other regions that would've been affected by the policy included Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Yemen.

The ban would have been in place for three years and was expected to get sign-off at a meeting of shadow cabinet on Monday if Ley had remained in the top job, according to a Liberal source familiar with the negotiations.

The policy would've also included an 'Australian values' statement that new immigrants would need to adhere to. Immigrants found to be in breach of the statement would face immediate deportation.

Angus Taylor standing in front of an Australian flag.
New Opposition leader Angus Taylor says he hasn't seen the policy Sussan Ley had been planning to announce. Source: AAP / Lukas Coch

The policy would also have seen a proposal to significantly reduce net overseas migration and cut international student visas.

Ley lost the Liberal leadership after nine months in the job last week, following a successful leadership spill by former Opposition defence spokesperson Angus Taylor. Jane Hume was elected as deputy leader.

Angus Taylor prepares to announce immigration policy

Taylor's office told SBS News he hasn't seen the policy Ley had been preparing to announce.

Taylor has nominated immigration as one of his key policy priorities and has outlined plans to "shut the door" to people who "hate" Australia.

He confirmed plans to reduce immigration intake, but hasn't clarified whether this policy to implement widespread bans on certain countries and regions would be carried forward under his leadership.

Taylor is expected to unveil a full policy "in the coming days", along with a new frontbench.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


2 min read

Published

By Anna Henderson

Source: SBS News



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world

Opposition was preparing widespread immigration bans under Sussan Ley's leadership | SBS News