SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Orphan to be moved out of detention

A young boy orphaned by the Christmas Island boat tragedy will be moved out of detention, Immigration minister Chris Bowen says.

asylum_funeral_L110217_1168422078

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The decision to return a young Iranian boy to Christmas Island after attending his father's funeral in Sydney has been criticised as stupid and bizarre.

IImmigration minister Chris Bowen says he will be moved out of detention, but not yet.

The eight-year-old Iranian child lost his parents and brother when the boat they were in was wrecked off the coast of Christmas Island in December last year.

He was flown to Sydney on Tuesday to attend the funeral of his father. The bodies of his mother and brother have not been found.

Christmas Island shire president Gordon Thomson has told ABC radio the government's decision to return the orphaned boy is stupid saying he's in a terrible way, and looks for his parents every time a bus brings a new group of refugees to Christmas Island.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

But Immigration Minister Chris Bowen has continued to defend the decision to fly 22 asylum seekers back west today.

He says the Iranian boy clearly needs to be released into the community and will be very quickly after a few more checks and once appropriate care arrangements are in place.

The government had initially rejected his cousin's request to look after him.

But that option will now be considered, Mr Bowen says.

"Sensitively and appropriately he will be moved into the community," he said, noting that new laws to move children out of detention will be applied.

"It will apply to him urgently because he has been through a very traumatic situation."

The aunt of a nine-year-old Iranian boy orphaned in the Christmas Island boat tragedy says she hasn't been told of plans to release him from detention.

The boy is among 21 asylum seekers due to be flown back to Christmas Island on Thursday morning, after attending funeral services earlier this week.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world