SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Palmer withdraws pursuit of liquidators

A Brisbane court has allowed Clive Palmer to withdraw his application to have the liquidators of Queensland Nickel removed.

Clive Palmer
Clive Palmer has withdrawn a court bid to remove the liquidators of Queensland Nickel. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Clive Palmer has withdrawn a court bid to remove the liquidators of Queensland Nickel, but has won't say the reasons why.

The Brisbane Supreme Court on Wednesday afternoon gave the former federal MP's lawyers leave to withdraw their application.

The court heard Mr Palmer has offered to pay the costs involved, which will be determined at later hearings also involving Queensland Nickel.

Earlier on Wednesday, Mr Palmer said he wouldn't be proceeding with action to sack FTI Consulting.

He said he was not at liberty to explain why, but said the halt in proceedings was by mutual agreement, and followed confidential discussions with FTI.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"We've agreed with them to discontinue proceedings," Mr Palmer told AAP.

"There've been discussions, which are confidential."

Mr Palmer has publicly raged against FTI and the job they did firstly as Queensland Nickel's administrators, and now as its liquidators.

That's despite the fact FTI was Queensland Nickel's company of choice when the decision was made to appoint administrators in January last year.

Last April, FTI wrote a damning report saying there was evidence Mr Palmer may have used the company as a piggy bank for his other companies and his political party.

It also said there was evidence that Mr Palmer may have acted as a shadow director of the nickel company, alongside its sole registered director, the ex-MP's nephew, Clive Mensink, and that both men may have recklessly discharged their corporate duties.

Queensland Nickel is now winding down with debts of about $300 million, and its collapse cost about 800 Townsville refinery workers their jobs.

The company has several matters remaining before the courts.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world