Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Pele fears protests will hurt World Cup

Pele is worried that social protests in his country could prompt nervous fans from abroad to cancel their trips to Brazil for the World Cup.

Brazilian football legend Pele expressed concern on Monday that social protests in his country could prompt nervous fans from abroad to cancel their trips to the World Cup.

Pele, speaking at a press conference in a Mexico City suburb, said he had no doubt that demonstrations that have re emerged in recent weeks would affect the tournament if they continue.

"We already know that 25 per cent of foreigners who were going to Brazil are worried by the protest, and I think they have cancelled," said the 73-year-old honorary ambassador to the tournament.

"This is a great loss for the country," said Pele, who won his third World Cup in Mexico in 1970.

With less than a month to go until the first kick off on June 12, Brazil is facing a new wave of protests from people angry at the cost of the World Cup and lacklustre spending on public services.

Some protests have turned violent but they are smaller than the demonstrations that brought one million people to the streets last year during the Confederations Cup, a warm-up to the World Cup.

Pele, who was criticised last year for urging Brazilians to leave the streets and focus on football, said he agreed with the protesters' grievances, like the need for more schools and hospitals.

But "O Rei" (King) Pele said the Brazilian national team should not have to pay for "the corruption and politics."

"We have nothing to do with corrupt politicians and thieves. It is not our fault," the former Santos great said, arguing that players should not be lumped together with "the thieves who stole to make stadiums".

Pele also voiced dismay that some of the 12 World Cup stadiums have yet to be finished 24 days from the first game.

Turning to the national team's chances of winning its sixth World Cup, Pele said he saw weaknesses in the attacking side and voiced concerns about putting

too much pressure on young star forward Neymar.

"We have confidence in the Brazilian team. The only problem I see is that Brazil has more World Cups than everybody else and people think it is obligated

to win" at home, he said.


3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world