Police resume search for missing four-year-old boy Gus Lamont at outback property

After declaring the disappearance of a four-year-old boy a major crime, police have returned to a remote property to resume the search.

A composite image of SES volunteers searching in the outback, a four-year-old boy, and an investigator pointing at a map on a screen.

Four-year-old Gus Lamont was last seen playing outside a remote property in September. Source: Supplied / South Australia Police

The search for a missing four-year-old boy has resumed days after police declared the boy's disappearance a major crime and indicated they had identified a possible suspect.

Gus Lamont was last seen by his grandmother playing at the Oak Park Station homestead in outback South Australia on September 27.

On 5 February, police declared someone living at the remote station was a suspect in Gus' disappearance and likely death.

They have confirmed the boy's grandparents, his mother and his younger brother were at the property at the time he disappeared but stressed his parents were not suspects.

On Monday, police announced that officers had returned to the sheep station, 45km south of Yunta in the state's Mid North, to continue searching for evidence and would remain in the area for at least the next two days.

South Australia Police detective superintendent Darren Fielke previously said that a person who lived at the station had withdrawn cooperation in the investigation after "a number of inconsistencies and discrepancies" were identified in the information they provided.

Gus' grandparents Josie and Shannon Murray released a brief statement via their lawyers earlier in February in response to the police allegations.

"We are absolutely devastated by the media release of SAPOL Major Crime," they said.

"The family has co-operated fully with the investigation and want nothing more than to find Gus and reunite him with his mum and dad."

Initial searches were based on Gus walking off the station and becoming lost but the case was later declared a major crime.

The two other investigation options were focused on the preschooler being abducted or whether someone known to him was involved in his disappearance and suspected death.

"We don't believe now that Gus is alive," Fielke said.

A boy with curly blond hair.
Gus Lamont's grandparents, his mother and his younger brother were at the property at the time he disappeared but police have stressed his parents were not suspects. Source: Supplied / SA Police

Investigators searched the homestead on 14 and 15 January, seizing items including a vehicle, a motorcycle and electronic devices for forensic testing.

Fielke said ground and aerial searches had failed to locate Gus or any items belonging to him and family members had provided information that police had reviewed.

Gus's disappearance sparked intensive searches spanning almost 500sq km and involving hundreds of police and volunteers as well as aerial support and mounted units.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world