SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Pope accepts bishop's 'forced' resignation

The Pope has accepted what's been called the forced resignation of a Queensland bishop condemned for his liberal views.

pope_gold_cross_101012_B_getty_669057317

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The Pope has accepted what's been called the forced resignation of a Queensland bishop condemned for his liberal views.

A statement on the Catholic Church's website said Pope Benedict XVI had received and accepted the resignation of William Morris as the bishop of the Toowoomba diocese.

He will remain in the diocese as the Emeritus Bishop of Toowoomba.

Bishop Morris and his supporters say he's been forced into early retirement over a letter to his parish in 2006 which discussed whether the shortage of priests could be supplemented by the ordination of women and ministers from other churches.

Auxiliary Bishop of Brisbane Brian Finnigan has been appointed to administer the Toowoomba diocese while a permanent replacement is found.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

In a statement on Tuesday, Bishop Finnigan praised his predecessor's handling of the sexual abuse of 13 young girls at the hand of a former Catholic primary school teacher in the Toowoomba diocese during 2007 and 2008.

"The scourge of sexual abuse has confronted the diocese," Bishop Finnigan said in a statement.

"The good work that Bishop Morris has done to address the needs of the victims will continue into the future."

The former teacher, 61, admitted last year to the abuse.

Bishop Morris immediately accepted legal liability for the abuse and the church entered into mediation with the victims.

Father Peter Dorfield, the vicar general of the Toowoomba diocese, says Bishop Morris' forced resignation had nothing to do with the sexual abuse cases.

"He's done an excellent job in listening to them and helping them as they choose to make appropriate civil court resolutions," Fr Dorfield told AAP.

"He encouraged the families of the victims to speak to him at any time and they met with him many times.

"He encouraged compassion and justice for these families."

Fr Dorfield says compared to what Bishop Morris did for the community, he's sacking over his 2006 letter seemed trivial.

Catholics in southwest Queensland are expected to hold a candlelight vigil at Queens' Park on Tuesday afternoon outside Bishop Morris' home.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world