SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Prince Ali lodges bid for FIFA presidency

Jordan's Prince Ali bin al Hussein has pledged to restore FIFA's image, while submitting his candidacy for the February 26 presidential election.

Jordan's Prince Ali bin al Hussein
Jordan's Prince Ali bin al Hussein has formally registered his candidacy for the FIFA presidency. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

FIFA presidential contender Prince Ali bin al Hussein on Thursday formally registered his candidacy for the election to replace Sepp Blatter at the head of world football's scandal-rocked governing body.

The Jordanian prince, a former FIFA vice-president, said he had the necessary backing from five of FIFA's 209 member associations but declined to name them.

With Blatter and two of his rivals - UEFA president Michel Platini and South Korean tycoon Chung Mong-Joon - suspended or banned, the prince said he had sent a message to all members setting out his case for change.

"For all of us, these are dark times. Restoring FIFA's credibility will not be an easy task but, together, it can be done. For the good of the game and all who love it, I humbly ask for the honour of your support," the message said.

In a separate statement to announce the deposition of his candidacy, the prince added: "This time of crisis at FIFA is an opportunity for positive change.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Many good ideas have emerged in the current discussion over FIFA's future. A better future will only come if ideas turn into action - and that will only happen if FIFA has the right leadership.

"I am confident that FIFA can emerge from this difficult period with its reputation restored and become an organisation that is once again viewed with respect."

The prince said he would not name the countries which had backed him "out of respect" for the associations involved.

Frenchman Platini has also registered his papers but may not be able to stand if he fails in an appeal against a 90-day suspension.

It is not known if Chung registered his papers before being banned last week for six years. He has also made an appeal.

The prince stood against Blatter in an election earlier this year but withdrew after the first round. Blatter announced four days later he would stand down.

The FIFA president is under criminal investigation in Switzerland. Platini has been named in the inquiry over a $US2 million ($A2.75 million) payment from FIFA.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world