SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Ricciardo hopes for rain at Aust F1 GP

Red Bull Racing's Daniel Ricciardo is hoping Melbourne's weather might do him a favour in Sunday's Australian Formula One Grand Prix.

Daniel Ricciardo Aus Grand Prix
Australian Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo in action at Albert Park for the Australian Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne, Australia, 14 March 2015. Source: EPA/SRDJAN SUKI

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Local Formula One hope Daniel Ricciardo admits he'll need some help from the notoriously fickle Melbourne weather if he's to pilot his Red Bull Racing car to a podium finish in Sunday's race.

Ricciardo finished sixth in last year's Australian Grand Prix and managed just two podium finishes for the entire season in his underpowered machine.

While he's pleased with Red Bull's latest testing results, Ricciardo says Mercedes are still the team to beat though a podium finish isn't out of the question for him.

If the rain comes, he says, it will bring reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton and teammate Nico Rosberg back to the field at the Albert Park circuit.

"They will be hard to beat this weekend for sure but the good thing about Melbourne is that you never know with the weather ... a bit of rain could stir things up," Ricciardo said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Ideally this year we'll get back in the winner's column and get at least one victory but podiums are a start.

"And if I could choose to be on any podium it would be in Melbourne."

Rain is forecast for Friday and Saturday's qualifying sessions but is expected to clear for Sunday's race.

Ricciardo has modest expectations of his car on the eve of his third season with Red Bull as the team awaits updates to their Renault engines.

But the Perth-born driver is fit and raring to go, having lost 3.5kg on team orders to accommodate changes to the set up of his car.

The 26-year-old said he was humbled to hear compatriot and former Red Bull driver Mark Webber's recent assertion he had the talent to win a Formula One world title before his career was over.

But it's a goal that will have to wait until at least 2017 when rule changes are expected to level the playing field.

"This year, to be honest, it's unrealistic - I'd love to say that it's realistic but the fact is Mercedes, in normal circumstances, they'll probably win most races," Ricciardo said.

"At least for the first few races, we're not really going to be in touch with them unless we get some rain or something else goes our way.

"I think the world title will probably, after five or six races, already be out of reach.

"We're not quite there yet ... but I think certainly in the second half of the year we should be able to get a lot closer."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world