Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Russia GP to go ahead despite unrest: FIA

The debut of the Russian GP is on track to take place in October, despite observers questioning whether the Crimean crisis will lead to a cancellation.

Formula One's ruling body FIA says there's no reason to cancel the Russian Grand Prix later this season despite the political turmoil involving the country.

"At the moment there is no change in the calendar. Russia is on," FIA president Jean Todt told the motorsport magazine Autosport.com on Tuesday.

"We speak to people who are involved with all that, but at the moment we have nothing that should change the running of the calendar."

The debut of the Russian GP is scheduled to take place on October 12 in Sochi, the home of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Some observers wonder if the escalating Crimean crisis will lead to a cancellation of the race.

Organisers in Russia last week downplayed doubts that the Formula One circuit would be ready in time.

"In light of a number of reports, I can declare that a postponement or cancellation of the Russian grand prix is not discussed," organising boss Sergey Vorobyov said.

"Regular inspections confirm the effectiveness of our work."


1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world