Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Safety nets an option for BBL spectators

Safety nets have been mentioned as a solution to the growing concern of spectator protection at Big Bash League games.

A fan attempts to take a catch during the Big Bash League.
Safety nets have been floated as a measure to reduce the risk of injury to BBL fans. (AAP)

Brad Hodge has floated the idea of safety nets at Big Bash League games as calls come for Cricket Australia to consider if enough is being done to protect spectators from balls routinely flying into the stands.

The former Test batsman-turned T20 journeyman raised the suggestion on Thursday as one lawyer feared it would take a serious accident at a Big Bash League game to prompt change.

Adelaide Strikers captain Travis Head hit a young boy at a BBL game last week, while WBBL star Elysse Perry halted the game to check on a boy after a similar incident earlier this summer.

CA warn fans at the game of the potential hazards by using sirens, announcements and big screen notices, while "collision with a cricket ball" is one of the risks accepted when buying a ticket.

But Shine Lawyers special counsel Josh Aylward points to other venues to show there is plenty more that could be done to protect Australian cricket fans.

"Motor racing has barriers, baseball and NFL have big nets, ice hockey has walls and even Indian cricket fields have 15-foot cages around them, but in Australian stadiums there is nothing preventing it," he said.

"The occupiers of these venues must take all reasonable steps to prevent foreseeable risk of injury from occurring.

"The question would be, is CA and the BBL doing enough ... sixes are obviously encouraged and a cricket ball is going to do some serious damage."

Hodge, now playing for the Melbourne Renegades, agreed netting was a possible solution but it also had the potential to ruin the spectacle.

"There's a ball being projected into the crowd five or six times in an innings," he said.

"I've seen some things happen in the IPL where some children have been hurt ... it's concerning.

"Maybe some netting might be an option ... but you don't want to disengage the crowd either.

"Hopefully the parents are there trying to take speckies over the kids to try and look after them."

The suggestion comes as players consider their own safety, with fast bowler Warren Barnes wearing protective headgear while bowling for Otago in New Zealand domestic cricket last weekend.

And Sydney Thunder batsman Ben Rohrer is nursing a bruised collarbone after some friendly fire from teammate Callum Ferguson at the Gabba on Wednesday.

Ferguson's bullet-like straight drive narrowly missed Rohrer's windpipe and kept him off the field for the Brisbane Heat's run chase, although he is hopeful of returning for the Thunder's next game on Saturday.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world