SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

SAfrican bowler in match fix probe: report

A match-fixing case in which one of South African's ex-players has been banned for 20 years has reportedly spread to include fast bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

South African fast bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe is reportedly under investigation in a match-fixing case that has already led to one of the country's former international players being banned for 20 years.

Tsotsobe told the Wisden India website on Thursday he had handed over his bank account and mobile phone records after being asked for them by Cricket South Africa (CSA).

Former South African limited-overs batsman Gulam Bodi was banned last month after admitting he conspired to recruit players to fix matches, or parts of matches, last year in South Africa's domestic Twenty20 league.

Documents leaked to the South African media show eight players were approached by Bodi. Media reports have named former South African wicketkeeper Thami Tsolekile and now Tsotsobe, who are both former teammates of Bodi in domestic cricket, as two of those players.

"I've given them (CSA) everything they want. My phone bills, my messages, my bank accounts, everything," Tsotsobe was quoted as saying by Wisden India. "They said they would get back to me."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Tsotsobe denied taking money from Bodi to fix. Tsolekile has previously denied being under investigation.

Cricket South Africa declined to comment on Tsotsobe on Thursday, saying the match-fixing investigation was ongoing. CSA has refused to confirm if Tsolekile is being investigated.

Tsotsobe, a left-arm seam bowler, has played five Tests, 61 ODIs and 23 T20 games for South Africa. He last represented the Proteas at the 2014 T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.

Tsolekile played the last of his three Tests in 2004.

Indian-born Bodi was found guilty of approaching players to fix games for betting syndicates, with leaked investigation documents saying players were offered up to $US50,000 ($A69,380) per game to underperform.

Announcing Bodi's sanction last month, CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat said "several" players turned down Bodi's approaches. However, some are believed to have entertained them and shown willingness to fix games.

Bodi was caught in the planning stage and CSA said it did not believe any games were actually fixed.

The investigation echoes the Hansie Cronje scandal, when South Africa's popular Test captain was banned for life in 2000 for fixing.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world