SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Setka "truly" apologises for ABCC comments

CFMEU Victorian secretary John Setka says his comments about ABCC employees had been taken out of context, but he is sorry if anyone felt threatened.

John Seta
CFMEU Vic secretary Seta says his comments about ABCC employees had been taken out of context. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

CFMEU boss John Setka has made a qualified apology for threatening to "expose" Australian Building and Construction Commission inspectors and make their children ashamed.

The Victorian state secretary on Friday said his speech at a Melbourne rally on Tuesday had been taken out of context and he would never go to people's homes or involve their families.

"The speech was made in the heat of the moment and reflects what's really going on across the country under this anti-worker government," he said in the statement.

"But as a family man and father of three beautiful children, if my comments were taken out of context or if they came across in a manner that was threatening, then I truly apologise."

Mr Setka told the rally the union was going to expose ABCC inspectors and make their children "ashamed of who their parents are".

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Let me give a dire warning to them ABCC inspectors, be careful what you do. You're out there to destroy our lives," he told a crowd of thousands on Tuesday.

"We will lobby their neighbourhoods, we will tell them who lives in that house and what he does for a living, or she, and we will go to their local footy club, we will go to their local shopping centre, they will not be able to show their faces anywhere."

On Friday he said his speech reflected the depth of anger construction workers feel about the ABCC.

"We've never gone to people's homes or involved their families and we never would. The thought of anyone going to someone's home is reprehensible," Mr Setka said.

Federal Employment Minister Michaelia Cash on Wednesday told the Senate she had referred the "intimidating behaviour" to the Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police.

Federal opposition leader Bill Shorten quickly distanced the party from Mr Setka's comments, while former trade union boss Martin Ferguson reportedly urged Labor to cut ties with the CFMEU's construction division in Victoria and expel Mr Setka.

The ABCC was established by the Howard government in 2005 to tackle illegal behaviour on construction sites.

The Gillard Labor government scrapped it in 2012, replacing it with Fair Work Building and Construction, before the coalition reinstated it in 2016.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world