Sewage pipes near Bondi operational since 1916 to be turned off

The NSW government has promised to turn off sewage pipes that have been flowing into the ocean for more than 100 years.

The NSW government has pledged to stop the continuous flow of untreated wastewater from three ocean outfalls at Vaucluse and Diamond Bay.

The NSW government has pledged to stop the continuous flow of untreated wastewater from three ocean outfalls at Vaucluse and Diamond Bay. Source: sydneywater.com.au

After more than a century of raw sewage draining into the ocean north of Sydney's Bondi Beach, the NSW government has promised to stop it.

It will cost the NSW government $86 million to divert the sewage to a nearby wastewater treatment plant, work that won't be completed until 2020.

Sewage has been running into the ocean near Vaucluse and Diamond Bay since 1916, according to the Environment Protection Authority.
Overview map of the Vaucluse Wastewater System sub-catchments and ocean outfall locations.
Overview map of the Vaucluse Wastewater System sub-catchments and ocean outfall locations. Source: sydneywater.com.au
Utilities minister Don Harwin said it was important to bring the peninsula up to 21st century standards.

"The community agrees it's important to stop our untreated wastewater being discharged directly into the ocean," Mr Harwin said in a statement.

A Sydney Water report earlier this year found the three sewage outfalls in Vaucluse and Diamond Bay expose people in the immediate vicinity to "very high" health risks.

While water quality at nearby swimming beaches such as Bondi remains "good" or "very good" people in primary contact with the contaminated waters near the outfalls are exposed to "significant risk of high levels of illness transmission," the report said.

The three outfalls built between 1916 and 1936 are the last remaining untreated discharge points in NSW.

They include sewage from more than 10,500 people living in Watsons Bay, Vaucluse, Diamond Bay, Rose Bay North and parts of Dover Heights.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the outfalls are a legacy from Sydney's early wastewater network.

"While there's no easy way to fix them, we take our responsibility to protect the environment and public health very seriously," Ms Berejiklian said in a statement on Sunday.


Share

2 min read

Published

Updated



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Download our apps
SBS News
SBS Audio
SBS On Demand

Listen to our podcasts
An overview of the day's top stories from SBS News
Interviews and feature reports from SBS News
Your daily ten minute finance and business news wrap with SBS Finance Editor Ricardo Gonçalves.
A daily five minute news wrap for English learners and people with disability
Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS
SBS World News

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service
Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world