Six people were wounded in a knife attack at a train station in China on Tuesday, police said, the latest in a string of violent episodes at public transport hubs.
Guangzhou police shot one of the attackers at the train station in the southern metropolis, the city's public security bureau said in a statement on its microblog, adding all six injured had been hospitalised.
"After verbal warnings were ineffective, police fired, hitting one male suspect holding a knife and subdued him," Guangzhou police said.
The Guangzhou Journal has reported that the attackers carried half-meter (20-inch) knives and wore white clothes, including white hats. They have also reported that they launched their assault as passengers were leaving the station.
No reason was given for the attack, although concerns have been raised about Islamic militancy since a car burst into flames on the edge of Bejing's Tiananmen Square in October, 2013. Twenty-nine people were also stabbed to death in March, 2013 in the southwestern city of Kunming.
The government blamed militants from the region of Xingjiang for both of those attacks.

