Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Starc restricted to batting at training

Australia spearhead Mitchell Starc has been restricted to batting duties during Australia's first session in Cape Town, where the third Test starts this week.

cricket
Australian fast bowler Mitchell Starc's been limited to batting three days out from the third Test. (AAP)

Australia are sweating over a fresh injury concern ahead of the third Test against South Africa, with spearhead Mitchell Starc unable to bowl at their first training session in Cape Town.

Starc, who has a sore calf, was restricted to batting duties on Monday.

The news was better for Mitch Marsh, who suffered a minor groin strain during the second Test.

Marsh wasn't able to bowl at full pace alongside Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, who both steamed in during a spirited centre-wicket session.

But late in the session the allrounder briefly trundled in, exercising great caution as team doctor Richard Saw watched on.

Team management is confident Starc and Marsh will both prove their fitness on Tuesday. Both setbacks are minor but there is scant wiggle room ahead of the match that starts on Thursday.

"Sometimes the bowlers just work their way into games a little bit differently," Cameron Bancroft said of Starc.

"His preparation might be a little bit different going into this game.

"Hopefully he'll bowl (on Tuesday). I'm sure he'll be ok."

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns and coach Darren Lehmann opted against flying a cover player in for Marsh.

It suggests they are confident the allrounder will be fully fit; or are comfortable picking him as an in-form batsman.

"Absolutely ... he'll hopefully pick that (speed) up leading up to the game on Thursday. I'm sure he'll be fine," Bancroft said, when asked if Marsh will be cleared to bowl in the third Test.

Losing Starc would be an immense blow to the hosts' hopes of winning the series, currently level at 1-1. The left-armer earned man-of-the-match honours during Australia's series-opening win in Durban.

Uncapped duo Chadd Sayers and Jhye Richardson are the reserve pacemen in the touring squad.

Starc looked sore while bowling last Monday, when the second Test finished in Port Elizabeth, but suggested it was nothing serious.

"The footmarks were a bit uncomfortable, (33.4) overs in the first innings takes a bit of a toll on the body. All good though," Starc told reporters last week.

"We've got a fair few days off to rest up and refresh mentally and physically."

Starc has suffered a series of right foot injuries in his 42-Test career, with the most recent being a bruised heel that forced the 28-year-old to miss last year's Boxing Day Test against England.

The express paceman was also bothered by a stress fracture in the same foot for much of last year, with the injury resulting in an early exit from the Test tour of India.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world