SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Suspect sought in Sweden for 'planning terrorist act': police

Sweden is on high alert following the Paris terror attacks as police hunt for a man wanted for 'planning a terrorist attack'.

Anders Thornberg, head of the Swedish Security Service (SAPO) talks to journalists during a press meeting at the SAPO headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden.
Anders Thornberg, head of the Swedish Security Service (SAPO) talks to journalists during a press meeting at the SAPO headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

Swedish police were hunting Wednesday for a man wanted for "planning a terrorist act", security services said, with the country on high alert following the deadly terror assault in Paris last week.

An arrest warrant has been issued for the suspect, whose identity has not been revealed, the head of domestic intelligence and counter-terrorism Anders Thornberg told a press conference in Stockholm.

"The man is being actively searched for," Thornberg said, refusing to confirm media reports the suspect is an Iraqi who has fought in Syria.

The suspect is wanted over his activities in Sweden and there is so far no link to the bloody attacks in Paris on Friday which left 129 people dead, according to Swedish intelligence service Sapo.

Sweden on Wednesday raised its national terror threat status to "high", the second-highest level on a five-point scale, following an assessment by the National Centre for Terrorist Threat Assessment (NCT).

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Sapo said in a statement the move was done in response to "concrete information".

"The attacks in Paris on November 13 show that IS may have an increased ability to carry out even relatively complex attacks in Europe. Individuals may be inspired by these attacks," Sapo said.

NCT director Mats Sandberg told the news conference that the Islamic State group -- which has claimed the Paris attacks -- "considers Sweden a legitimate target".

French President Francois Hollande and UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday discussed the adoption of an anti-terrorism resolution "as quickly as possible", the French presidency said.

"Francois Hollande recalled his desire to see a resolution to boost the means to fight terrorism and Daesh (Islamic State group) as quickly as possible" in a phonecall with Ban who supported this, said the presidency. 


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world