SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Syria gas attack a war crime: Turnbull

Malcolm Turnbull won't be drawn on whether Australia would consider joining any US military action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull insists that a deadly poison gas attack which killed at least 70 people in Syria is a war crime and "cries out for a strong response".

But his government won't be drawn on whether Australia would consider joining potential US action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad if asked by the Trump administration.

"As a parent, a grandparent, everyone weeps when you see this sort of inhumanity, this cruelty," Mr Turnbull told 3AW Radio.

"We have condemned this attack utterly. It cries out for a strong response."

Mr Turnbull said Australia had been in close touch with its US ally, and he has discussed the issue with Defence Minister Marise Payne and the defence force chief.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I don't want to speculate any further," he said.

Australia has conducted some air strikes in Syria as part of its contribution to the fight against Islamic State extremists in the Middle East.

US Vice-President Mike Pence upped his criticism of the Assad regime in the wake of this week's deadly gas attack in northern Syria, telling US media "all options are on the table".

Asked if Australia would join any US action without UN backing, Defence Minister Marise Payne told ABC radio on Friday: "We'll make decisions in regard to those sorts of issues as they are brought to us."

Senator Payne said the most important thing now is to condemn the attack.

"We have to be clear with Russia, we have to be clear with those who support the regime that this is totally unacceptable," she said.

The minister said Australia would "of course" be part of the conversation about possible US action.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world