Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Talks continue on European club rugby

The dispute over the running of European club rugby continues but some issues are closer to resolution.

The question of who runs European club rugby was the major sticking point Friday after both sides in the 'breakaway' row moved closer on a raft of other issues.

The future of both the European Cup and the second-tier European Challenge Cup was thrown into doubt last month when leading English and French clubs announced plans for a breakaway Rugby Champions Cup (RCC) free from the control of existing organisers, European Rugby Cup (ERC) -- a body dominated by the continent's leading national unions rather than the clubs.

But, following this week's meeting of national union representatives and ERC chiefs in Dublin, Premiership Rugby (PRL), the umbrella group for England's leading clubs, and the Ligue National de Rugby, their French equivalent, said Friday there was now agreement on several major points.

"Premiership Rugby and Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR) are pleased to note that all parties have reached agreement on the European club competition formats and the principles of financial distribution," a Premiership statement said.

"These are on the basis of the platform proposed by the English and French clubs and which correspond with the principles which guided the formation of the Rugby Champions Cup."

The statement added the RCC would be under the "overall regulatory responsibility" of the unions of the Six Nations (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy), who would deal with disciplinary procedures, appointment of match officials, and compliance with International Rugby Board regulations.

Currently, the Six Nations performs a similar role regarding end of year international fixtures in Europe.

However, the statement stressed the RCC would be run by its three constituent leagues (English, French and Celtic), not ERC, who would be responsible for management and promotion of the competitions, commercial rights' sales and financial distributions.

"This solution meets the respective needs of the parties and is an integral part of the overall proposals, alongside competition qualification and format and share of financial distributions," the statement said.

English and French clubs have long complained that Celtic League teams have an unfair advantage in European competition as most of them are guaranteed entry, whereas Premiership and Top 14 teams have to fight hard just to qualify.

But the Dublin meeting backed Anglo-French calls for "meritocratic" qualification.

The dispute has also been complicated by a row over broadcast rights.

Premiership Rugby have signed a television deal with BT Vision worth STG152 million ($A257 million) with STG52 million ($A886 million) of that earmarked for European competitions.

But ERC insist they will stand by current broadcast partners Sky, with a contract agreed until 2018.

The Anglo-French breakaway plan received support Tuesday from Wales's four regional teams -- Cardiff Blues, Ospreys, Newport Gwent Dragons and the Scarlets -- which further undermined ERC's position.

But that scheme suffered a setback when Mourad Boudjellal, the owner of French side Toulon, the reigning European champions, said Wednesday his club would not compete in any breakaway event.


3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world