Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Tennis - Nadal pulls out of Mexican Open with injury

The world number two, who was due to face fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez on Wednesday, said he felt a sharp pain during his final training session on Tuesday and decided not to compete on the advice of his medical team.

Tennis - Nadal pulls out of Mexican Open with injury
(Reuters)

"Doctors have told me that it is impossible to play, regardless of whether it hurts," said Nadal. "There is a significant risk of increasing the injury and I have no choice.

"I was well prepared to play and I had hopes of doing something important here."

Nadal, who has not competed since retiring against Croatia's Marin Cilic in Melbourne last month, was in Acapulco hoping to close the gap on world number one Roger Federer.

"I still don't know what it is, because we don't know. It seems it's not as bad as what I had at the Australian Open," the 31-year-old added.

"Now my main goal is to find out the extent of the injury."

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto. Editing by Nick Mulvenney)


1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world