8.33am - Man Haron Monis enters the Lindt Cafe on Martin Place * He wears camouflage pants, black jacket, baseball cap, black backpack, and carries a plastic bag * Monis carries a hidden pump-action shotgun sawn off at butt and barrel
* He eats chocolate cake and drinks tea, then moves to a table with a view of the whole cafe
9.03am: Monis asks to speak to the manager.
* Tori Johnson sits down with Monis.
* Staff says Johnson appears stressed during the conversation.
* Johnson says to a staff member something like, "I need you to get my keys - lock the doors - we're closed - everything is OK - tell the staff to be calm".
* The doors to the cafe are locked.
* Monis puts on a vest and a bandanna, stands up, produces the shot gun and declares, "This is an attack. I have a bomb".
* He orders staff and customers to move to northern wall of the cafe.
* Monis orders hostages to hold a flag described as being Islamic up to the windows.
9:44am: Monis tells Johnson to call triple-zero.
* Following Monis's orders, Johnson tells operator Australia is under attack by Islamic State.
* Johnson says radio bombs are in Martin Place, Circular Quay and George Street, which later proves to be false.
* Johnson tells the operator he has a gun pointed at him, Monis has taken him and others hostage.
* The call lasts 12 minutes.
9.46am: Police acknowledge the incident
9.51am: Police arrive at the scene.
9:52am: Tactical operations unit acknowledges the emergency.
10.07am: Tactical operations unit arrives
* Siege is treated as a possible terrorist attack.
* Monis had told his 18 hostages he has a bomb in his backpack, which he holds on to throughout the siege.
Some of the hostages escape
* Monis fires his gun, striking the wall above the cafe door
Very early AM: Monis fires his gun, striking the wall above the cafe door
2.14am: Monis forces Johnson to kneel on the floor of the cafe and shoots him in the head. Johnson dies.
* Shooting witness by police marksman who calls it in.
* Police force entry to the cafe, shattering the glass windows and doors
* Tactical units throw 11 flashbang grenades, creating sudden violent flashes of light and gunshot sounds
* Two police officers fire 22 shots at Monis.
* Monis returns fire, shooting shotgun once or twice at the entry team.
* Monis is killed by at least two bullets or fragments to the head and 11 other bullets or fragments to the body.
* Hostage Katrina Dawson is struck by six fragments of a police bullet or bullets, which ricochet from hard surfaces into her body.
* One fragment strikes a major blood vessel. She loses consciousness and dies.
* Three other hostages and one tactical operative are hit by ricocheting bullet fragments.
(Source: Opening statement by counsel assisting the NSW Coroner Jeremy Gormly to inquest)