Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Trump says Iran wants a peace deal but warns US may strike again

President Donald Trump warns the US may strike Iran again, a day after he claims he held off a major assault in hopes of a peace deal.

US President Donald Trump sits in a suit with a serious expression on his face.
Trump told the media he had been just "an hour away" from relaunching Washington's attacks on Iran before postponing the order. Source: Getty / China Pool/Getty Images

In brief

  • Trump says Iran's leaders are begging for a deal, but says a new US attack will happen in coming days if no agreement is reached.
  • Tehran says Trump paused the attack because he realised that any move against Iran would mean "facing a decisive military response".

President Donald Trump says the United States may need to strike Iran again, and that he has been an hour away from ordering an attack before postponing it.

Trump made the comments a day after saying he had paused a planned resumption of hostilities following a new proposal by Tehran to end the US-Israeli war.

"I was an hour away from making the decision to go today," Trump told reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

Iran's leaders are begging for a deal, he said, adding that a new US attack would happen in coming days if no agreement was reached.

The United States has been struggling to end the war it began with Israel nearly three months ago. Trump has previously said that a deal with Tehran was close, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if it did not reach an accord.

The US president is under intense political pressure at home to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz — a key route for global supplies of oil and other commodities. Gas prices remain high and Trump's approval rating has plummeted as congressional elections loom in November.

An oil tanker and a ship are seen on the sea
The Strait of Hormuz is a choke point vital to global economies. Source: AP / Fatima Shbair

Oil prices settled lower on Tuesday after Vice President JD Vance said Washington and Tehran had made a lot of progress in talks and neither side wanted to see a resumption of the military campaign. "We're in a pretty good spot here," he said.

Speaking to reporters at a White House briefing, Vance acknowledged difficulties in negotiating with a fractured Iranian leadership. "It's not sometimes totally clear what the negotiating position of the team is," he said, so the US is trying to make its own red lines clear.

He also said one objective of Trump's policy is to prevent a nuclear arms race from spreading in the region.

Iran promises response to any new attack

In Tehran, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament's national security committee, said on X that pausing an attack was due to Trump's realisation that any move against Iran would mean "facing a decisive military response".

Iranian state media said Tehran's latest peace proposal involves ending hostilities on all fronts including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli attacks.

Tehran also sought the lifting of sanctions, release of frozen funds and an end to the US marine blockade, according to Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi as cited by IRNA news agency.

The terms as described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran's previous offer, which Trump rejected last week as "garbage".

Both sides 'changing goalposts'

Reuters could not determine whether military preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

Trump said on Monday that Washington would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement that prevented Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington.

The sides "keep changing their goalposts," the Pakistani source said, adding, "We don't have much time."

Ceasefire mostly holding

The US-Israeli bombing killed thousands of people in Iran before it was suspended in a ceasefire in early April. Israel has killed thousands more and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes in Lebanon, which it invaded in pursuit of the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia.

Iranian strikes on Israel and neighbouring Gulf states have killed dozens of people.

The Iran ceasefire has mostly held, although drones have lately been launched from Iraq towards ⁠Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and ⁠Kuwait, apparently by Iran and its allies.

The US seized an Iran-linked oil tanker in the Indian Ocean overnight, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, citing three US officials. The tanker, known as the Skywave, was sanctioned by the US in March for its role in transporting Iranian oil, the report said.

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they launched the war to curb Iran's support for regional militias, dismantle its nuclear program, destroy its missile capabilities, and create conditions for Iranians to topple their rulers.

But the war has yet to deprive Iran of its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium or its ability to threaten neighbours with missiles, drones and proxy militias.

The Islamic Republic's clerical leadership, which had faced a mass uprising at the start of the year, withstood the superpower onslaught with no sign of organised opposition.

For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


5 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world