Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' as Trump increases pressure on Havana

Relations between the two countries have deteriorated sharply in recent days.

A composite of Cuban flags and Donald Trump
The US Treasury Department announced on Monday that the US had imposed sanctions on nine Cuban officials. Source: Getty

in brief

  • Unverified reports have claimed that Cuba has acquired drones and could be planning an attack on US soil.
  • Cuba has denied the reports saying the country "neither threatens nor desires war".

Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel warned on Tuesday AEST that any United States military action against the island would trigger a "bloodbath" with consequences for regional peace and stability.

His comments came after Axios reported on Sunday, citing classified intelligence, that Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed plans to use them to attack US military assets.

Cuba has rejected the allegations, accusing the US of fabricating a case to justify possible military intervention.

Relations between the two countries have deteriorated sharply in recent days following a US indictment of a former Cuban leader, as the latter endures increasing economic hardship.

Accusations and indictments

Reports of drones in Cuba could serve as a pretext for US military action, Axios reported, and reflect the extent to which the Trump administration views Cuba as a growing threat due to advances in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana.

A senior US official told Axios the developments had heightened concerns in Washington.

Cuba has faced mounting economic strain since the US cut off its energy supplies following the January arrest of the president of its ally Venezuela.

Fuel shortages have worsened in recent weeks, and electricity is reportedly available for only one or two hours a day in many areas.

Reuters news agency reported last week, citing a US Department of Justice source, that prosecutors planned to indict former Cuban leader Raul Castro over Cuba's 1996 shooting down of two planes operated by a humanitarian group.

Foreign minister Bruno Rodriguez defended Cuba's position in a social media post, saying the country, "like every nation in the world", has the right to legitimate self-defence against external aggression under the UN Charter and international law.

"Cuba neither threatens nor desires war," he said.

An indictment of Castro, 94, the brother of late revolutionary leader Fidel Castro and a central figure in the 1959 Cuban Revolution, would mark a significant escalation in pressure on Cuba by the Trump administration.

US sanctions placed

The US Treasury Department announced on Monday that the US had imposed sanctions on nine Cuban officials, including the communications minister, several military leaders, and Cuba's directorate of intelligence.

The sanctions are part of a broader effort by the Trump administration to intensify pressure on Cuba's government, including moves to restrict oil shipments from Venezuela and Mexico to the island.

The administration has described Cuba's communist-run government as corrupt and incompetent and has openly pushed for regime change.

US President Donald Trump has increased pressure on the island by threatening sanctions on countries supplying Cuba with fuel, a policy that has contributed to widespread power outages and further weakened the economy.

Russia said on Monday it remained in constant contact with Cuba's leadership to explore ways to ease the impact of the US oil blockade on the Caribbean nation.

The blockade has tightened supplies across the island, leading to strict rationing and causing gasoline and diesel prices to nearly double last week.

Havana has not received an oil shipment since the Russian tanker Anatoly Kolodkin delivered about 700,000 barrels in late March, an amount estimated to cover only a few weeks of demand for the island's 10 million residents.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: SBS, Reuters, AFP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world