SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Two late bogeys leave McIlroy four strokes from lead

AUGUSTA, Georgia (Reuters) - A subdued Rory McIlroy lamented two late bogeys that left him four strokes behind leader Jordan Spieth after the opening round at the Masters on Thursday.

Two late bogeys leave McIlroy four strokes from lead
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

McIlroy was compiling a round of the highest order in brutal afternoon conditions before settling for a two-under-par 70 at Augusta National.

His score was most respectable under the circumstances, but paled beside what it might have been.

"I let a couple of shots get away on 16 and 18 but if someone had given me a 70 on the first tee, I probably would have taken it," the Northern Irishman told reporters as the sun dipped below the Augusta pines.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"It was a tricky day. But being on the 16th tee where I was four-under, I was probably thinking I could sneak in another one or two (birdies).

"To start going the other way is disappointing."

Four-times major champion McIlroy needs only the Masters to complete the career grand slam of all four majors.

A superb driver -- unarguably one of the best in the game -- McIlroy shrugged off the whistling afternoon winds for most of the day as he pursued Spieth's early 66.

"I saw the leaderboards. He's very, very comfortable here," McIlroy said of defending champion Spieth.

"He's going to be tough to beat this week. I'm going to have to play good golf but I feel there's enough good golf in me that I can reel him in over the next 54 holes.

"The way the conditions are, you have to stay patient and bide your time and pick up your birdies when you can."

McIlroy, who played in the final threesome of the day, will at least get to tee off earlier on Friday, when the wind is expected to howl again. It is not expected to abate until Sunday.

"The course is only going to get firmer and tougher as the week goes on, with this wind," he said. "It's going to be a good test, a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to it."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world