UN issues plea after Trump's promise to stop migrants from 'third world countries'

Trump's comments were a further escalation of migration measures ordered since the shooting of two national guard members in Washington on Thursday.

Donald Trump wearing a navy suit and a red tie

US President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he will "permanently pause" migration from all "third world countries" to allow the US system to fully recover. Source: AP / Alex Brandon

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers access to the country and be given due process following US President Donald Trump's announcement to "permanently pause" migration from all "third world countries".

Trump declared the freeze on Friday following the death of a national guard member who had been shot near the White House in an ambush investigators say was carried out by an Afghan national who entered the US in 2021.

Asked to respond to Trump's remarks, UN human rights office spokesperson Jeremy Laurence told a Geneva press briefing: "They are entitled to protection under international law, and that should be given due process."
UN refugee agency spokesperson Eujin Byun echoed those remarks.

"When people who need protection arrive in their territory, they have to have a due process of asylum. And then they have to have access to territory," she said, adding that the overwhelming majority of refugees are law-abiding members of the host community.

"So we really want to appeal at this point to the states who are hosting refugees and asylum seekers," she said.
Reaction to the shooting of National Guard members in Washington DC
National Guard members Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe were shot in Washington, DC on 28 November. Beckstrom later died of her injuries, while Wolfe remained in hospital. Source: EPA / Will Oliver
Trump did not identify any countries in the "permanent ban" by name or explain what he meant by third-world countries or "permanently pause".

Trump said he would end all federal benefits and subsidies for "noncitizens", adding he would "denaturalise migrants who undermine domestic tranquillity" and deport any foreign national deemed a public charge, security risk, or "non-compatible with Western civilisation".

He said the plan would include cases approved under former president Joe Biden's administration.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Download our apps
SBS News
SBS Audio
SBS On Demand

Listen to our podcasts
An overview of the day's top stories from SBS News
Interviews and feature reports from SBS News
Your daily ten minute finance and business news wrap with SBS Finance Editor Ricardo Gonçalves.
A daily five minute news wrap for English learners and people with disability
Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS
SBS World News

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service
Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world