SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US won't take shortcuts with Aust refugees

The US is under no inherent obligation to take refugees on Nauru and Manus Island unless they meet Donald Trump's strict standards, officials say.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The US will not take any shortcuts in vetting refugees held on Manus Island and Nauru as part of the controversial deal with Australia, according to a US State Department official.

Matt Matthews, a deputy US assistant secretary of state responsible for policy for Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands, confirmed "pre-screening" of the refugees had begun.

"What I can tell you is that there will be no shortcuts in the process, they will go through a full vetting process, but these refugees have been vetted in depth in Australia and they're in a process of being vetted in depth now by (the Department of Homeland Security)," Mr Matthews told reporters on Thursday, according to the Washington Examiner.

The deal has been a source of controversy between US President Donald Trump and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, with a January 28 phone call between the two leaders ending abruptly.

Mr Trump also called it a dumb deal, although he backtracked and said the refugees would have to pass extreme vetting before being accepted by the US.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Mr Matthews said the US did not have a specific time-line for the vetting to be completed.

The Australia-US deal was struck last year when Barack Obama was in the White House.

Australia has agreed to accept Central American refugees held in US-funded camps.

Mr Matthews maintained Mr Trump's stance that the refugees would have to pass thorough vetting before they gain entry into the US.

"There is no inherent obligation to take refugees unless they actually meet our strict standards," Mr Matthews said.

Mr Trump and Mr Turnbull put on a united front during a May 4 meeting in New York and the refugee issue will likely come up when US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visits Australia next week.

"What the United States has undertaken to do is review applications submitted through the UN High Commission and go through our own very independent and very strict vetting process to determine whether or not referred potential refugees would meet our standard for admittance to the United States," Matthews said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world