SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic police warn on complex terror plots

Victoria Police warns complex terror plots could hit Australia as it boosts its counter terror command with 88 new officers.

Members of the Victoria Police.
Victoria Police will get 88 new counter terrorism experts as part of a $49.4 million package. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Complex overseas terror plots could replace lone wolf attacks in Australia, Victoria Police warns, as it adds 88 new counter terror experts.

The growth in terror threats has stretched and challenged police's ability to handle homegrown extremist investigations.

Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said the 88 new staff would make Victoria Police's counter terrorism command the best in the nation.

"It comes at a very important time for us because this is an area that's been stretching us now for a while," Mr Ashton told reporters on Wednesday.

"We've had more people in the area of counter terrorism that we've had to have concerns about.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"That number has been growing, and it continues to grow at an increasing rate."

Mr Ashton said it had been challenging finding the specialist resources police needed to deal with terrorism threats.

"On a fairly regular basis, we prevent acts occurring. We have prevented numerous attacks in recent years," he said.

Mr Ashton said most of the state's threats were lone wolf attacks, but that could change.

The $49.4 million funding package will allow Victoria Police to recruit new interpreters, surveillance teams and forensic investigators, as well as move 40 sworn officers into the counter terrorism command.

Premier Daniel Andrews said recent attacks in Paris showed the state could not be complacent about dealing with the threat of violent extremists.

"This is an immediate boost, $50 million, for more staff, more expertise, for a stronger capability to keep Victorians safe," he said.

Mr Ashton said recruiting for the new positions would start immediately, with a national search to bring in terrorism analysts and experts.

The funding also includes $2 million for new technology to help counter terrorism.

Mr Ashton said police had struggled to keep up with hundreds of calls to the counter terrorism hotline, but it was important to follow up every call.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world