SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic's Jalal pranksters say they're sorry

Victorian YouTube pranksters, the Jalals, have made a public apology for their drive-by videos in court as part of their punishment.

File
File image. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Two YouTube pranksters in trouble over prank terror videos taped on the streets of Melbourne say they never meant to scare the community.

The Jalal brothers apologised before the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday, as part of court orders that spared them criminal records for posting the online videos of fake drive-by shootings.

"I would hate to think that in Australia we would ever reach such a state that there is no room for legitimate comment through satire," Magistrate Rozencwajg said.

He sentenced Mariwan Jalal, 20, also known as Max, and Arman, 18, to a diversion order that includes a six-month good behaviour bond.

The brothers smiled as Mr Rozencwajg read the findings that spared them criminal records.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

He gave them an hour to prepare their apology.

The magistrate also advised the pranksters not to emulate the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard apology video, widely derided on social media as "wooden", that was released last month for bringing their dogs Pistol and Boo into Australia without declaring them to customs.

They didn't.

During their minute-long apology on Friday, Mariwan admitted he and his brother had not made the "best decisions" and apologised for causing fear in the community.

Clinging a crinkled piece of paper with hand scribbled notes, he said they hoped to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and understood that came with responsibilities.

The brothers wore matching navy suits with shiny black lapels, a look one of their relatives described as "sexy".

While waiting in the courtroom to give their apology on Friday, the brothers boasted to reporters about the popularity of their recently released mobile phone app, and Arman requested a selfie with police prosecutor Paul Rudd.

When Mr Rudd politely declined, Arman shrugged and told the prosecutor he would just photoshop him in later.

Two of three charges against the pair were dropped on Friday, leaving one charge, on which they were found guilty, of behaving in an offensive manner in a public place.

The duo declined to comment on their sentence as they walked from court.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world