Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

WA Labor vows to axe Perth Freight Link

WA Labor will dump the Perth Freight Link if it wins the election, but the state government says it's reckless, will cost jobs and throw away federal funds.

West Australia Labor Opposition Leader Mark McGowan
WA Labor has vowed to scrap the "deeply flawed" Perth Freight Link if it wins the March election. (AAP)

WA Labor has vowed to scrap the "deeply flawed" $1.9 billion Perth Freight Link if it wins the March election, but the Commonwealth has backed its Liberal counterparts, saying the state will not get the money for other projects.

Opposition Leader Mark McGowan said as premier he would renegotiate the Roe 8 contract, freeing up $1.7 billion for more worthy "congestion-busting" projects, with $236 million to be used on three other projects he revealed on Wednesday.

Labor will also start planning an outer harbour at Kwinana to complement Fremantle Port, which will reach capacity in 10 years.

Legal advice from former WA solicitor-general Grant Donaldson indicated renegotiating the Roe 8 contract would incur a modest cost.

Mr McGowan described the project as a "monumental waste of money" that made no sense in terms of planning, the economy or environment, and called on the premier to halt work until March.

It has become a key election issue and Mr McGowan said the public had a choice between supporting Labor's comprehensive plan or the Liberals' short-sighted road to nowhere.

But Transport Minister Bill Marmion said Labor's idea was "silly" and the cost of breaking the contract would be about $40 million.

Deputy Premier Liza Harvey said Labor was being reckless by throwing away $1.2 billion of federal investment, which is tied to the Perth Freight Link, and 3360 jobs would be lost from a project that would ease congestion.

But Mr McGowan said he expected the Commonwealth to back WA Labor, just as it supported the Victorian Labor government's decision to scrap the East-West project.

"We would expect and in fact demand that the Commonwealth respect the will of the people of WA."

But a major difference is Victoria already had the money to reallocate and WA doesn't.

A spokesman for federal Urban Infrastructure Minister Paul Fletcher told AAP the funds "cannot simply be reallocated to other projects".

Labor plans to take $236 million from the Perth Freight Link to spend on three projects, with some funding previously assigned, and Mr McGowan said they would create jobs.

It includes bringing forward the $145 million Armadale Road dual carriageway between Anstey Road and Tapper Road, $166 million for the Armadale Road Bridge, and $95 million to build two new overpasses on Wanneroo Road.

The Roe 8 project has also been part of an ongoing legal battle involving the Save Beeliar Wetlands group, with a Federal Court hearing scheduled for Friday, following a lost bid in the High Court.

In the meantime, the group says an agreement has been reached to have no more clearing work done until Monday.

Roe 8 would extend Roe Highway from Jandakot to Coolbellup, passing through the wetlands, and is part of the Perth Freight Link, which is designed to get freight to Fremantle Port.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world