SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Wallabies confident about Pocock's fitness

David Pocock is expected to be fit and available for the Wallabies' Test against Scotland following a concussion suffered against Wales.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The Wallabies expect David Pocock to be available to overcome a concussion to face Scotland this weekend, while injured hooker James Hanson could be back in training next week.

Pocock sent a brief shock through the Australian camp when he was forced out of Saturday's win over Wales with concussion.

The powerful 28-year-old - who was started at blindside flanker against Wales, for the first time in his career - was understood to have been furious at being benched by the match doctor, with Cheika admitting he was given "a spray" by his star forward over the substitution.

The Wallabies will adhere to all the head injury assessment protocols but remain confident he'll be able to line up at Murrayfield for Saturday's second leg of the Spring Tour - and the next hurdle to clear towards winning the grand slam.

"I'm confident that he'll be playing," Cheika said on Monday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

There were fears Hanson's tour could be over after he underwent surgery on a fractured jaw last week, which allowed Waratahs youngster Tolu Latu to face Wales and become the Wallabies' 12th debutant this year.

However, it's hoped Hanson, after having four plates inserted into his face last week, will resume training next week with a view of being available for the tour-ending clash with England on December 3, or potentially the crucial showdown with Ireland the week before.

"(Hanson's) massive (swollen) jaw is starting to reduce a little bit, every day it's getting smaller and smaller," Cheika said.

"The surgeons gave quite a bright picture for the next few weeks ... Obviously he's not going to be in line for anything this week and we'll see how he deals with that and then from there we'll make some decisions.

"Ideally he's going to stay with us all this week. We'll have a look and see what his comeback is like and if we feel like he's an option to play in the last few games, and then we'll make a call from there."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world