SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

We got it wrong: Greenberg

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg says the game's governing body handled poorly its funding negotiations with clubs.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg
NRL boss Todd Greenberg says the game's governing body handled poorly its funding negotiations. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg admits the game's governing body mishandled their funding negotiations with clubs after John Grant narrowly avoided the axe.

ARL Commission chairman Grant on Tuesday received an 11th hour reprieve after striking up a peace deal with the clubs who were threatening to revolt after the NRL last month abruptly pulled a funding deal from the table.

Grant's position appeared untenable but they managed to negotiate a resolution. The NRL would not divulge details of the deal because it was dependent upon how much the salary cap rises by in 2018.

Greenberg admitted they had got it wrong and had badly sold their message to the clubs who had threatened a civil war.

"There's lots of things that could have changed over time but I think we could have handled ourselves better in some parts," Greenberg said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"But these are emotional issues for the game and it's probably not the first time we've debated the distribution of funding and it won't be the last."

As part of the peace deal, the clubs agreed to a five-year funding model which will begin in 2018. Greenberg said it would fund each club at an amount above the salary cap.

The NRL will also establish a sinking fund for clubs which run into financial hardship, a proposition clubs had previously baulked at because they didn't believe it was their duty to prop up rivals who run into hardship.

It was reported that the clubs were pushing for Grant to stand down within the next 12 months but Greenberg said he had not been given an exit date.

"Absolutely he will (stay). John's in a position where's he got to put the game's best interests at heart," Greenberg said.

"He's come under some personal criticism but that's okay, that's the way the game works."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world