Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Wehrlein cleared for Canada

LONDON (Reuters) - Sauber Formula One driver Pascal Wehrlein has been cleared for next week's Canadian Grand Prix after medical tests following a crash in Monaco on Sunday.

"Checks all done, see you in Montreal," the 22-year-old German said on Twitter on Thursday.

"Great news! Medical checks done - ready for the #Canadian GP," said the team on their feed.

Wehrlein's car was pitched into the fence and tyre wall at the entrance to the tunnel in Monaco after McLaren's Jenson Button made a highly optimistic attempt to pass on the inside of the corner.

The Sauber ended up on its side with Wehrlein, who missed the first two races of the season due to fractured thoracic vertebrae, trapped inside. The incident raised concern that he could have hurt his back again.

Wehrlein has scored Sauber's only points of the season so far, finishing eighth in Spain.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Pritha Sarkar)


1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world