SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Wigan win a boost for English game: Wane

Wigan coach Shaun Wane believes his side's World Club Challenge win over Cronulla has been a huge boost for rugby league in England.

Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane is showered by champagne
Wigan believe their World Club Challenge win has been a huge boost for rugby league in England. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Wigan coach Shaun Wane says the Super League's clean sweep of the World Club Series is a huge shot in the arm for the future of the code in England.

The Warriors' 22-6 win over Cronulla in Sunday's World Club Challenge showdown was the first time since Leeds beat Manly in 2012 that an English team has won the final.

Wigan's success emulated the victory by Warrington over Brisbane 24 hours earlier and rounded off a memorable weekend for the host nation.

With England failing to shine in the Four Nations and several NRL clubs rejecting the offer to come over to the UK, doubts had been cast over the future of the competition and the long-term health of rugby league in the land of its birth.

But Wane, who won the tournament as a player in 1987 for Wigan, said the two wins proved Super League teams are capable of matching their NRL counterparts.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I'm very happy, not necessarily with the way we played but certainly with the win," Wane said.

"Tony Smith did a great job with Warrington last night, they were worthy winners and I think we were today.

"Winning such a prestigious trophy against a club like Cronulla, who are worthy champions in Australia, is a fantastic feeling.

"I'm pleased for the competition, pleased for the game," Wane added.

"But it's just one year, we need to be consistent and do it again next year and the year after and show that we have a good competition here."

RFL chief Nigel Wood confirmed after the game discussions with the NRL are already underway about the format of the 2018 competition which could see teams head to Australia.

Both Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett and Cronulla's Shane Flanagan have publicly backed the tournament and said they'd be happy to come back and play despite reservations of rival NRL coaches.

"I think it's fantastic," said Flanagan.

"They way we have been treated since we got here is first class. To play a game like this in front of a crowd so passionate about rugby league, we'll come over every year."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world