SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Wimbledon teen poison claim probe

Scotland Yard is investigating allegations that an 18-year-old tennis player may have been poisoned during last month's Wimbledon championships.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A rising British tennis star who was forced to withdraw from last month's Wimbledon Championships after being struck down by a mystery illness may have been deliberately poisoned.

Scotland Yard is investigating allegations that Gabriella Taylor, 18, from Southampton, was targeted during the girl's tournament.

The tennis player spent four days in intensive care after becoming unwell during her quarter-final match and her mother, Milena Taylor, told the London Daily Telegraph her daughter was "close to death".

Scotland Yard said police in the London borough of Merton, which covers Wimbledon, were investigating an allegation of poisoning with the "intent to endanger life" or cause grievous bodily harm.

No arrests have been made.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"The allegation was received by officers on August 5 with the incident alleged to have taken place at an address in Wimbledon between July 1-10. The victim was taken ill on July 6. It is unknown where or when the poison was ingested," a spokesman said.

"The victim, an 18-year-old woman, received hospital treatment and is still recovering."

Miss Taylor contracted a strain of the bacteria leptospirosis, which is usually spread by animals and can in rare cases cause organ failure, her mother told the Daily Telegraph.

She said her daughter was staying "in a completely healthy environment" and it was "impossible" for her to have become ill.

"The bacteria the infection team found is so rare in Britain that we feel this could not have been an accident," she told the paper.

"Her bags with her drinks in were often left unattended in the players' lounge and someone could have taken the opportunity to contaminate her drink."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world