Australia

Dutton rejects 'completely improper' calls for him to call off journalists’ prosecution

0:00

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton is unmoved by ongoing calls to drop legal action against three journalists targeted in recent federal police raids.

Peter Dutton has rejected "completely improper" calls for him to rule out the prosecution of journalists for publishing classified information.

The home affairs minister is facing ongoing demands to save from criminal charges two ABC journalists and a News Corp reporter targeted in federal police raids.

Minister for Home Affairs Peter Dutton.
Minister for Home Affairs Peter Dutton.
AAP

The heads of both media organisations have publicly urged him to intervene.

"Calls for me somehow to interfere with an investigation would be completely improper," Mr Dutton told 2GB radio on Thursday.

AFP officers during the raid on ABC's Sydney headquarters.
AFP officers during the raid on ABC's Sydney headquarters.
AAP

"I'll leave it to the commissioner and to the AFP to conduct their investigation unhindered by me."

Mr Dutton insists he had no role to play in the high profile media raids, which have sparked a major debate about press freedom in Australia.

The ABC is challenging the warrant used by the AFP to raid its headquarters earlier this year.
The ABC is challenging the warrant used by the AFP to raid its headquarters earlier this year.
Twitter

"The thought of interfering in a police investigation has never crossed my mind - and it won't," he said.

"Not just from a moral stance, but that's the law in our country."

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch