Australia

Evacuations and total fire bans as wide-reaching bushfire threat continues

CFA firefighters are seen after a fire impacted Clovemont Way, Bundoora in Melbourne. Source: AAP

Fire crews are bracing for a busy end to 2019 with flames across the country bringing evacuations for holiday-makers and residents alike, while New South Wales faces almost a dozen total fire bans.

Around 100,000 people were urged to flee five Melbourne suburbs on Monday evening as the nation's spiralling bushfire crisis killed a volunteer firefighter battling a separate blaze on the New South Wales-Victoria border.

Fire authorities earlier bushfire emergency warning but said residents should steer clear of the blaze, which has burned through 40 hectares of grassland.  

CFA firefighters are seen after a fire impacted Clovemont Way, Bundoora in Melbourne.
CFA firefighters are seen after a fire impacted Clovemont Way, Bundoora in Melbourne.
AAP

In Bundoora - just 16 kilometres north of the city centre and home to two major university campuses - the fire's spread toward houses had been halted for now but it was yet to be brought under control, said Victoria Emergency.

Water bombers were seen flying over neighbourhoods, and families hosing down their homes in the hope of halting the fire's spread.

The sky crane drops water on a bushfire in scrub behind houses in Bundoora.
The sky crane drops water on a bushfire in scrub behind houses in Bundoora.
AAP

A volunteer firefighter died in New South Wales state and two others suffered burns while working on a blaze more than five hours south-west of Sydney, the Rural Fire Service said.

"It's believed that the truck rolled when hit by extreme winds," the agency said in a tweet.

Ten others, including two volunteer firefighters, have been killed so far this fire season.

The crisis has focused attention on climate change - which scientists say is creating a longer and more intense bushfire season - and sparked street protests calling for immediate action to tackle global warming.

The blazes have also destroyed more than 1,000 homes and scorched more than three million hectares - an area bigger than Belgium.

A heatwave sweeping the country Monday fuelled the latest destruction in the devastating summer fire season, which has been turbocharged by a prolonged drought and climate change.

Conditions worsened on Friday with high winds and temperatures soaring across the country - reaching 47 degrees Celsius in Western Australia and topping 40 degrees in every region - including the usually temperate Tasmania.

More than a dozen blazes are also raging in Victoria's East Gippsland countryside, where authorities said "quite a number" of the 30,000 tourists visiting the usually picturesque region had heeded calls to evacuate.

Some of the fires were burning so intensely that hundreds of firefighters were pulled back beyond a front estimated to stretch 1,000 kilometres.

It was deemed "unsafe" for them to remain in bushland areas, Gippsland fire incident controller Ben Rankin said, describing the situation as "very intense".

'Too late to leave'

Authorities had warned tourists enjoying Australia's summer holidays in East Gippsland that the fires would cut off the last major road still open.

Victoria Emergency Management commissioner Andrew Crisp said residents and holidaymakers still in the area faced being stranded as it was now "too late to leave", with his agency warning it was "not possible" to provide aid to all visitors in the area.

South Australia is also experiencing "catastrophic" fire conditions.

The Country Fire Service's Brenton Eden said it would be a "very dangerous" day for people in the state, with "dry" thunderstorms - which produce thunder and lightning but no rain - already sparking a number of fires, including an emergency-level blaze on Kangaroo Island.

"Winds are gusting and unfortunately this is a dry lightning front that is going to move rapidly across South Australia," he told the ABC.

Conditions were also expected to deteriorate in worst-hit New South Wales, where 100 fires were burning Monday morning including more than 40 uncontained.

Sydney and other major cities have been shrouded in toxic bushfire smoke haze for weeks, forcing children to play indoors and causing professional sporting events to be cancelled.

Canberra has cancelled its New Year's Eve fireworks display due to a total fire ban in the Australia Capital Territory, while several regional towns have also followed suit.

A petition to cancel Sydney's famous New Year's Eve fireworks and use the money to fight bushfires ringing the city has topped 270,000 signatures, but officials say the show will go on.

Sydney has spent $6.5 million on this year's fireworks display - funds that the Change.org petition argues would be better spent on supporting volunteer firefighters and farmers suffering through a brutal drought.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch