Nick Xenophon is not the first federal parliamentarian to switch to state politics after a stint in Canberra.
Federal parliamentarians who have gone back to state or local politics:
- Nick Xenophon: Independent senator since 2008 making a second tilt at South Australian politics.
- Guy Barnett: Tasmanian Liberal senator, now resources minister in the Hodgman government.
- Michael Ferguson: Liberal MP, now Tasmania's health minister.
- Harry Woods: Labor MP who became a NSW government minister.
- Yvette D'Ath: Labor MP, now attorney-general in the Queensland Palaszczuk government.
- John Brumby: Labor MP who became Victorian premier.
- Robb Hulls: Queensland Labor MP for one term who went into Victorian state politics and became attorney-general.
- Alannah MacTiernan: Served in Western Australian state politics for 17 years, had a stint as a local mayor, before becoming a federal MP for a term. She's now back in WA state parliament and is agriculture minister.
- Philip Ruddock: Former coalition minister, now mayor of Hornsby in northern Sydney.