Australia

NSW bushfires: Three homes destroyed as crews battle out-of-control blazes

There's little reprieve for parts of NSW hit by bushfires, with more hot weather and winds tipped. (AAP)

Firefighters are battling two out-of-control bushfires in northern NSW which have destroyed at least three houses.

Fresh emergency warnings have been issued to people near two out-of-control bushfires in northern NSW being whipped up by winds.

Gusts are pushing a fire in Tingha, near Inverell, south towards Howell Road and east in the direction of the community of Old Mill.

"Our advice to residents in the area is to seek shelter as the fire approaches," a NSW Rural Fire Service spokesman said on Wednesday.

Almost 6000 hectares have been burned in the fire so far.

The RFS says an evacuation centre has been set up at Bundarra School of Arts on Bowline Street, while a number of schools in the area have been closed.

An emergency warning was initially issued on Tuesday, downgraded overnight and elevated again before midday on Wednesday due to strong winds "pushing the fire", the RFS spokesman said.

An emergency warning was issued soon after for a blaze near Tabulam, west of Casino, as strong winds pushed it across the Timbarra River.

"There is an increase in fire activity across the western edge of the fire," the RFS said.

The fire, which forced the evacuation of the Jubullum Aboriginal area on Tuesday, has already destroyed at least three houses, several other buildings and vehicles.

The bushfire has burnt through nearly 2600 hectares.

Some 42 bush and grass fires are currently active in NSW with seven yet to be contained.

The Bureau of Meteorology expects a cold front will bring wind changes late evening Wednesday and early Thursday.

"It's a bit of a whirlpool of directions there on the actual fire ground in the northeast but that fact along with the low humidity and high temperatures will prove quite challenging for firefighters today," an RFS spokesman told AAP.

Dingo's Run owners John and Amanda Davis are dealing with the aftermath of the Tabulam fire.

"It was horrendous and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. It's just very frightening and you're unsure of what's going to happen," Ms Davis, 72, told AAP.

The Australian navy veteran and RFS volunteer was on standby as a truck driver for the local crew when the couple realised their home was under threat.

Along with Ms Davis' brother and other volunteers, John Davis managed to fend off the fire.

While their house was saved, the couple's veggie garden and parkland trees have been burnt and their orchard damaged.

Ms Davis said the town will recover quite well because its residents looked after one another.

Maximums up to 40C are forecast for far northeastern NSW on Wednesday.

Large parts of the west, south and central south have dropped to the low- to mid-20s.

A total fire ban has been declared for the North Western, Far North Coast, Northern Slopes and New England regions.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch