Europe

Prince Philip back on the road two days after crash

New images appear to show Prince Philip driving a new Land Rover on the royal Sandringham estate. (AAP)

Photographs have emerged that appear to show Prince Philip back behind the wheel of a new Land Rover, two days after flipping his old one in a collision.

Prince Philip has apparently been pictured driving a new Land Rover just 48 hours after his dramatic collision with a car carrying two women and a baby.

Images published on Saturday appear to show Philip, wearing dark glasses and no seatbelt, back behind the wheel of a new Freelander on the Queen's Sandringham estate.

Buckingham Palace did not immediately comment on the images.

The 97-year-old reportedly said, "I'm such a fool" after being pulled from his wrecked Freelander on Thursday after it flipped on its side following a collision with a Kia close to Sandringham.

The two women inside the Kia were hurt in the collision but the nine-month-old baby boy was unharmed, police said.

The Queen's transport manager was seen at Sandringham on Friday as a new Freelander was delivered to the royal residence.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 97, was left "very shocked" and shaken after the crash on Thursday.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 97, was left "very shocked" and shaken after the crash on Thursday.
AAP

A palace spokeswoman said on Friday that Philip had exchanged "well-wishes" with the injured women and appeared to have no lasting problems following the collision.

A source said the Duke of Edinburgh's routine in coming days would continue as normal.

Retired NHS worker Victoria Warne told The Sun she spoke to the duke as she looked after the injured occupants of the Kia.

"The passenger from the other car told me, 'I always wanted to meet a royal - but not this way'," the 72-year-old from Norfolk said.

She said Philip asked about the welfare of the people involved in the crash.

"I told him the baby was fine - but we thought the passenger had broken her arm," she said.

Prince Philip is 'conscious but very shocked and shaken' after a dramatic crash near his Sandringham Estate which left two women in the other vehicle in hospital and the Land Rover he was driving on its side in a crumpled heap
Phrince Philip, 97, crashed his Land Rover on Thursday.
Daily Mail UK

"He looked so worried and told me, 'I'm such a fool'."

Norfolk Police said two women - the 28-year-old Kia driver, who suffered cuts to her knee, and a 45-year-old passenger who broke a wrist - were treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn that day and discharged.

Victoria Warne's 75-year-old husband Roy helped the stricken Philip out of his car.

He told The Sun that Philip, who was left very shocked by the accident, asked if everybody was all right and was overheard telling police he had been "dazzled by the sun".

Prince Philip was examined at hospital on doctor's advice, but a check-up found no injuries of concern, a palace spokeswoman has said.

The crash happened as Philip's Freelander pulled out of a side road onto a stretch of road that was earmarked by the local authority for possible safety measures.

Prince Philip appeared to be travelling without a police protection officer, individuals who guard all senior members of the royal family when at public and private events.

At a meeting coincidentally scheduled for Friday, Norfolk County Council approved plans to lower the speed limit from 60m/h (97km/h) to 50m/h (80km/h), backed by speed cameras.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch