If you've had your cafe dream percolating for a while, how do you make it a reality?
Here are a few tips and insights:
1. Make a business plan.
Ask yourself these questions:
- How much money do you have?
- How much money do you need?
- What are your cafe's strengths and weaknesses?
- What sets you apart from your competitors?
- Where will your cafe be located?
The federal government offers many free business templates .
Zarraffa's Coffee has a drive thru as their point of difference. Source: Supplied
2. Register your business name
- You can lodge your business name with ASIC .
- Register for an ABN .
You can register your business name online. Source: Supplied
3. Location, location
Find the best location that suits your business plan
- Do you want to own an existing cafe?
- If not, are you prepared to go through building and planning approval?
The Grounds of Alexandria transformed an old parking lot into a garden cafe. Source: Supplied
4. The tools of the trade
The only essential piece of equipment to a cafe is a good coffee machine and a fridge to stock your goods. The rest depends on whether you want a large food menu, and if you want seating.
- Outdoor seating requires council approval.
- Liquor licenses cost around $700, and regulations vary from state to state.
A good coffee machine can take you far. Source: Supplied