Immigration

US TV stations dump 'racist' Trump immigrant ad

0:00

US broadcasters NBC and Fox News have joined CNN in rejecting President Donald Trump's campaign advertisement that features an immigrant convicted of murder.

NBC and Fox News Channel say they will stop airing President Donald Trump's campaign advertisement that featured an immigrant convicted of murder.

CNN had already rejected the same ad, declaring it racist.

Fox pulled the ad on Sunday "upon further review", said Marianne Gambelli, president of the network's ad sales department.

The advertisement aired on NBC's "Sunday Night Football" and MSNBC's "Morning Joe", and drew a heated online response.

It includes footage of Luis Bracamontes, a twice-deported immigrant from Mexico sentenced to death in California for killing two police officers.

Luis Bracamontes in Sacramento Superior Court.
Luis Bracamontes in Sacramento Superior Court.
AAP

NBC said on Monday that in its review, it recognises the insensitive nature of the ad.

Trump's campaign manager, Brad Parscale tweeted that NBC News, CNN and Facebook had chosen to "stand with those ILLEGALLY IN THIS COUNTRY".

He said the media was trying to control what people see and think.

Parscale made no mention of Fox's decision.

The president's son, Donald Trump Jr, had tweeted over the weekend, noting CNN's refusal to air the advertisement, "I guess they only run fake news and won't talk about real threats that don't suit their agenda".

CNN said through Twitter it was made "abundantly clear" through its coverage that the ad was racist and it had declined to air it when the campaign sought to buy airtime.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch