Super League club Wakefield have sacked former Parramatta NRL halfback Tim Smith for gross misconduct.
Super League club Wakefield have sacked former NRL halfback Tim Smith, chairman Michael Carter has confirmed.
The 30-year-old former Wigan and Salford player, who had two months left on his contract, has been dismissed for gross misconduct.
The move follows Smith's appearance at Beverley Magistrates Court on Wednesday when he was banned from driving for 28 months and fined STG900 ($A2000) after admitting to failing to provide a specimen following a car crash in Hull last month. He was also fined STG600 ($A1300) for careless driving.
"A letter was last night sent to him and his lawyer saying we were dismissing him for gross misconduct and bringing the club into disrepute," Carter told Press Association Sport.
Smith, who previously played in the NRL for Parramatta and Cronulla, was in his second spell with the Wildcats after rejoining them just over 12 months ago from Salford.
He had been suspended by the club pending an investigation into the car crash but failed to attend a hearing after submitting a sick note citing anxiety.
The latest development comes just 48 hours after Wakefield confirmed the departure of former New Zealand fullback Kevin Locke, who was also involved in the car crash, and 48 hours before one of the biggest games in the club's history, Saturday's STG1 million ($A2.16 million) relegation-deciding clash with Bradford.
Smith is thought to be on his way back to Australia and facing an uncertain future in the game.
Richard Cramer, Smith's Leeds-based legal representative, said the player would issue a statement next week in response to the club's actions.
"Wakefield have made their position clear and Tim will have something to say but, out of respect for his colleagues who have such a big game coming up, there will be no comment right now," Cramer said.
"He does not wish to disrupt their preparations for Saturday's game and hopes the team can win."