Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience
The last batch of 22 ‘Made in India’ trains for Sydney Metro is on its way to Australia.
The French manufacturer, Alstom’s Sricity facility in Andhra Pradesh, India completed the last of the 22 Metropolis trains for Sydney Metro on December 6th and held a flag-off ceremony before the train sets were set off for delivery.
In 2014, Alstom won a contract to deliver 22 six-car trainsets, as well as the CBTC signalling system, for the North West Rail Link, Australia's biggest public transport project and first fully-automated metro network.
“We are immensely proud to have completed the last train for Sydney Metro in this landmark project for the Asia Pacific region.
“We are also proud to see Sricity concluding its first export order on time, delivering on expectations and winning our customer’s trust.
“We firmly believe in India’s role as a manufacturing and engineering hub for international markets, and this milestone bears witness to that,” said Ling Fang, Alstom Senior Vice President Asia Pacific.
The ‘Made in India’ trains have been customised for Sydney but is based on the international Metropolis train, which is used in 25 cities including metros in Singapore, Barcelona and Amsterdam.
The fully-automated train features the latest in passenger information systems, as well as areas for prams, luggage, bicycles, wheelchair spaces and separate priority seating for those with reduced mobility.
Sydney Metro train features
- Level access between the platform and train and three double doors per side per carriage for faster loading and unloading.
- Heating and air-conditioning in all metro trains.
- A new generation of fast, safe and reliable metro train.
- At all times, a team of expert train controllers will monitor Sydney Metro, making sure everything runs smoothly.
- Wheelchair spaces, separate priority seating and emergency intercoms inside trains.
- Continuous mobile phone coverage throughout the metro network.
- Two multi-purpose areas per train for prams, luggage and bicycles.