SBS Radio App

Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience

Australia has skilled migration visa schemes that allow entry of skilled migrants each year on temporary or permanent basis.
12 Jan 2018 - 11:18 AM  UPDATED 23 Aug 2018 - 10:39 AM

Every year hundreds of thousands of foreign workers choose to live and work in Australia because of the lifestyle and employment opportunities offered.

Here we provide you some information on various work visas available in Australia.

Migration expert, Jujhar Singh Bajwa told SBS Punjabi that there are two major work visa arrangements that cover a majority of the applications.

"The most popular visa categories for applicants from Indian-subcontinent come under skilled migration, employer and state sponsored visa arrangement,” said Mr Bajwa.

Immigration laws are regularly reviewed by the government so it is always recommended to check the updated information available on their official website.

Here are some important links that will help you know how you can work in Australia and which visa you'll need.

If you have skills or qualifications that Australia needs, using SkillSelect you can be invited to apply for a skilled visa by the Australian Government, nominated for a skilled visa by a state or territory government or nominated for a skilled visa by an employer.

SkillSelect - Skilled workers and business people interested in migrating to Australia can be considered for a skilled visa by submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect.

An EOI is an indication that you would like to be considered for a skilled visa and it is not a visa application.

Working in Australia – It provides information on how to apply for work visas, information on skilled occupations in Australia, licensing and registration requirement and regional employment.

Employer sponsored workers – The website provides information for Australian employers about sponsoring people with recognised qualifications, skills or experience seeking to work in Australia.

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) - The webpage provides information for young people between 18 and 30 who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. To apply for this visa, you must hold a valid passport from an eligible country.

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) – This visa is for young people between 18 and 30 who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. To apply for this visa, you must hold a valid passport from an eligible country.

Workplace rights - visa holders working in Australia - Information to assist workers from overseas to know their rights and help reduce the incidence of exploitation.

Follow SBS Punjabi on Facebook and Twitter.

Also Read
Australia's Parent Visa: Things you need to know
Parents may be able to migrate to Australia using a Parent Visa if they have a child in Australia who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
Pathways to permanent residency for current 457 visa holders
A number of changes introduced to the Australian Skilled and Family Visa Program will be through in the first quarter of the year.
New Zealanders to have a new pathway to Australian citizenship
The new visa pathway will be available from 1 July 2017.
Your chance to migrate to Australia. New occupation list for 2017-18 announced
Australia has announced the new skilled occupation list for the immigration intake program for the year 2017-18.
Know more about Skilled Migration to Australia

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) have released the new Skilled Occupations List (SOL) for 2016-17. This list will come into effect from 1st July, 2016. In this conversation, we talk to migration consultant Jujhar Singh Bajwa who explains all that matters in this new SOL. Preetinder Grewal reports…