1. Seeking out a good fishmonger is important
2. You need to have an open mind when buying seafood
3. Use your senses
4. Buy whole fish if possible
5. Try your hand at filleting
Cook the book: panko-crumbed ling fillets star in these burgers. Get the recipe here.
6. Always fillet as close to the time of use as possible
7. Use fresh fillets as soon as possible
Tear up some roti and tear into this South Indian mullet curry.
Edited extract and images from Australian Fish and Seafood Cookbook by Susman, Huckstep, Swan, and Hodges (Murdoch Books, HB, $79.99). Photography by Ben Dearnley.
This dish is a clever way to use left-over scraps of salmon. It can also be made with salmon fillet, cut into thin strips, or a mixture of fillet and other pieces.